OK...is there anybody out there with tips on teaching a child to poop on the toilet? I'm wondering if this is the biggest challenge of patience I have ever been given? Taylor is going on 2 weeks of straight potty training and she still has yet to poop on the toilet! Don't worry...she hasn't held it that long (thank the Almighty) but she is deathly afraid of the big white seat! For the last 2 days I have sat with her in the bathroom for 15 min at a time coaching her to push and try to poop. I feel like I'm looking into the future when she's on the delivery room bed and I'm holding her legs while I coach her to push and bear down! Anyway...no matter what I do she is SO stubborn and will only get a little push out in that whole 15 min! I have tried everything too...trips to the toy store, candy, movies, swimming...nothing works...I even have some fun princesses that she picked out from the store herself and I bring them out every time she tries just to remind her what she is missing...but still nothing! So like I said it's been 2 days and finally at the kitchen table tonight after dinner I noticed her acting funny so I rushed her to the toilet and as she sat down a little bit came out (sorry for the visual) but it's like she held it in and wouldn't let it out...thus putting an end to her day as she had an all out fit until she tired herself to the point of sleep! That's right...she fell asleep on the toilet with her head on my lap. I was sitting there with Charlotte who had no choice but to fall asleep hanging off my arm and once I got close enough for Tay to collapse on me she did just that! Good thing Sean was still home because otherwise I would have been stuck there with two sleeping angels.

So what do I do? I'm not going back at this point...she is doing great otherwise...I"m not sure the last time she had a 'wet' accident and she's staying dry at night too! How do we get past this fear?
I've never wanted to scream out loud so many times in my life...crazy how a little concept and a lot of attitude can make you feel like that!
6 comments:
NATALIE just saw this and said, she needs to go to her bed.
haha poor you!! I am sooo sorry. she will get it. she has to!
I am not in any position to give pointers though, I would make you take 2 steps back!
Oh Libby! I wish I had some tips but I'm learning a lot from reading your blog about it - we're going to start with McKenna in September. I hope someone out there has some good advice for you. Good luck!
i've had two friends who have read a book that tells you to have your child watch you poop (kind of gross I know) but having them see it in action apparantly helps them?? with jacey, he wouldn't try at all, but then one day while he was sitting there i made up a story about a puppy going for a walk who had to poop, and when it was the puppy's time to push, i would pretend to push with him and jacey would join in. it totally worked and for about 2 weeks i had to tell the same story EVERY time, but now he just goes on his own. i know that sounds absolutely retarded, but you sound desperate, so i thought i'd share my lame story with you. :) good luck!!!!
Brooklynn did this too, only not quite so bad. Maybe try getting her a little potty or a seat to put on the big potty. I think that big old potty is so intimidating for them and they don't feel secure. Then just keep at it, she will eventually figure it out.
Perhaps she needs to be alone? I mean how often do you see little ones hiding when it's time to do #2?
Jonas needs me to shut the door and leave when he has to push one out...then he yells at me when he's done to come and help him.
Hope something works!!
i have had 2 kids who had this same issue. The first got cured of it when he pooped his pants, tried to take care of it himself, poop fell out of his underwear in the process of him trying to take care of it himself and his baby sister ate it. I've never yelled so much in my life. I was a crazy lunatic but my insane yelling cured him and he never had another poop accident again. My other kid just eventually figured it out. I kind of gave up in pushing it and he really just got it on his own. It took about 3 months for him to master the poop, after he'd mastered the pee. So there ya have it! That's all i know about that!
Post a Comment