Thursday, June 21, 2012

Approved and waiting, and waiting...

Well we had our appointment at the US consulate yesterday and it was an experience.  We got up super early to shower and have enough time to go downstairs for breakfast and out the door by 815 and we did it! Yes, we can be on time for something!  We took two cabs to the consulate and I realized something.  Does anybody wear seatbelts in cabs?  I don't!  and guess what, neither do my kids or baby!  Are we crazy?  In our own cars we go ballistic when our kids won't buckle up their seatbelts, even sometimes stopping on the side of the road waiting for them to do it, but as soon as we get into a cabby all rules out the window.  This is craziness, since cab drivers are probably the craziest drivers on the road, especially in Montreal, but somehow I feel like I'm invincible when I'm driving in their cars! 
Anyway, we SAFELY got there and there wasn't anybody outside waiting in line as I thought there would be.  The security guard met us outside and looked through our stuff to see what we were bringing inside.  Sean couldn't take his computer bag but I was allowed my diaper bag and grocery bag full of coloring books and markers.  Once we got inside, they checked our papers with our appointment on it before we were even allowed entrance to the security check through.  Once inside Nina was SO hungry and was crying like crazy, clearly annoying the security guard.  They were trying to talk to eachother and she just kept getting louder and louder, making me totally anxious.  I grabbed my nursing cover and started nursing her standing there in security waiting to be allowed through.  We finally were cleared and made our way to the 19th floor.  Once inside the room was full of people (8:40am) and we were told to find a seat until our number was called.  We probably sat for an hour and 15 minutes before our number got called and Sean went to a counter to talk to somebody for about 20 minutes, showing all his documents that they needed to verify everybody.  Then we waited another 20 minutes for our interview where we were called to another booth, a little larger, to talk to somebody on the other side of the glass sitting at a computer.  Not what I expected at all!  He swore us in in front of the US flag that we would tell the truth.  I didn't have to be there, neither did the kids unless we wanted to stay.  Lotti in the meantime was walking around barefoot acting like a kitty cat meowing at Taylor and the people behind her and pouncing on chairs, climbing on them to get water and being her normal self.  The water fountain is right beside the fire alarm lever and it continually shocks me that more fire alarms don't go off from children being curious to pull them.  It says right on the box "Pull down" in bold letters.  They are asking for this to happen and I started having nightmares of this happening while we were at the US consulate! Wouldn't that be crazy?

Anyway, long story short, we were approved and told that the waiting can take up to 5 business days!  AH...we had planned on leaving Canada that afternoon but alas, we are still here, hoping and wishing that it comes tomorrow so we don't have to figure out what to do over the weekend!  I want to be at the beach in North Carolina with my family!

I'm just so grateful that this process is almost over.  Immigration has taken forever!  At least we are in a suite where everybody has their own room and Nina sleeps like an angel.  I can't complain.

Today we made our way over to LaRonde (6 flags) and had a good, HOT day.  Amusement parks with 5 kids are tough.  The boys went with Sean for a little bit and Tay and Lotti rode a few rides together without needing a parent, then the boys met up with us and we were able to do some roller coasters with Lotti! 

Now we're back and the girls are all in bed.  I'm. So. Tired!!  Tomorrow we might go to Old Montreal...should be some more HOT fun!  Pictures to come later:)

1 comment:

Alysha Sladek said...

I'm glad everything went well. That's funny about the cabs. I've never been in one, but I can't see myself buckling either, even though I'm totally crazy in my own car...
hopefully things come through quick so you can get going.