So back in January when we were traveling and in Dallas, all my kids got really sick, but Lotti seemed to be hit the worst. I later figured out that she got RSV. While we were in the states though we didn't go see a doctor, just waited the symptoms out with all the kids and they all eventually got a bit better. Lotti held onto her cough though for weeks and got sick again while we were in Hawaii. It settled a bit and then yesterday started to act up again with wheezing, indrawing of breath and a horrible cough and runny nose. I have felt like there was something else going on in her lungs but had no way of telling.
Well last night Sean was on call and came home for a quick bite of dinner and I mentioned that I was worried about her wheezing...so he assessed and immediately recommended we bring her down to the ER.
She was an excellent patient and had only smiles for the nurses and the doctor. The Emerg doc kept telling Sean and I that he would show us to the psych wing of the hospital when we were done, because we had 4 kids and he was in his 4th year of Residency! I think it's so funny that people say this...it's just our way of life!Anyway...the doc assessed and decided to give her an x ray since she hadn't had one yet. I was on board since I really wanted to find out what was going on in her lungs. Well I didn't have the slightest idea how the x ray would happen, just thought she would lay down on a table and they would x ray her...um no!
Welcome to the torture cylinder tube that you would assume would make anybody scream. You can't really see but the plastic tube comes right over her face! Sean said she was looking up at him like "what are you doing you crazy man!" but she never screamed or cried!
Once that was done we came back to her bed and she was put on Ventolin for about 10 min. What a sweet little patient...she was tired though and fell asleep right up until the Ventolin was done and then when we took it off her face she sat up and started smiling and talking! The nurse said the Ventolin would make her hyper but I didn't think she would react since she was falling asleep! So funny!
Well, we now have a diagnosis of Bronchiolitis, caused from RSV. It sucks but I'm so glad to have a diagnosis finally! I knew something else was going on! So now we wait out the symptoms and just treat conservatively. They gave me some Ventolin to bring home in case she had more wheezing episodes so that makes me feel better, I just don't know when this will subside? I'm glad to have her home and everybody is happy today!
Once that was done we came back to her bed and she was put on Ventolin for about 10 min. What a sweet little patient...she was tired though and fell asleep right up until the Ventolin was done and then when we took it off her face she sat up and started smiling and talking! The nurse said the Ventolin would make her hyper but I didn't think she would react since she was falling asleep! So funny!
Well, we now have a diagnosis of Bronchiolitis, caused from RSV. It sucks but I'm so glad to have a diagnosis finally! I knew something else was going on! So now we wait out the symptoms and just treat conservatively. They gave me some Ventolin to bring home in case she had more wheezing episodes so that makes me feel better, I just don't know when this will subside? I'm glad to have her home and everybody is happy today!Now it's Saturday and we've accomplished something new today...Brayden cleaned a toilet...and not just one toilet but two! I decided Saturday would be my deep clean day and everybody better be helping me! I think we cleaned the house in just a couple of hours and it feels great now! I still have to tidy the toys downstairs but that's kind of last on my list today! Sean pulled double call, last night and today/tonight so that he could be at church tomorrow so I'm by myself, but maybe I'll pull the kids to McDonald's for dinner so I don't have to cook!
L
4 comments:
SOOOOO cute!!
And yet sooo sad.
What a sweet pea. I've had tons of experience with RSV/Bronchiolitis/Bronchial Pneumonia and all sorts of fun. Jack ALWAYS had it as a baby and was actually diagnosed with Reactive Airway Disorder as a 4 year old. Then, when he didn't grow out of it, it turned to an official diagnosis of Seasonal Asthma, caused by spring time allergies! It can for sure be scary so its a good thing there's a dr. in your house!!!!!
poor little button. i HATE those xrays! you're so lucky she didn't scream - what a good girl :)
i hope she gets better quickly.
Crazy story...Jonas was in the hospital a few weeks back and was given a puffer to take home. pretty much the same symptoms, but his was viral induced athsma. I hope that Loti gets better soon.
Post a Comment