Saturday, June 13, 2009

St. Lawrence Seaway system

2009_06_12

Click on the picture above to view more...

Last night we took a little family field trip to the first Lock in the St. Lawrence Seaway system which is just 5 min down the road from us. We drive over this Lock every Sunday when we go to church and I've always wanted to walk around them and across the little bridges to see what it actually looked like.

If you're not familiar with the Lock system, it's a way for boats to travel the St. Lawrence from Kingston all the way to Ottawa. I think you can make your way all the way to the Atlantic but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's a series of gates that fill up with water which allow the boats to get higher and higher to the next lake on the other side.

When we actually stood in front of them though the fall was steep and Sean's fear of heights kicked in. His heart rate was racing more than it had been earlier that day when he had to save a woman's life in the trauma bay! Anyway we convinced him to cross the bridges and just to hold on tight! In one of the pictures you can see him kind of crouching down as he holds onto the side rails and the boys kept saying "Dad why don't you just walk straight?"

As we were taking a family picture the train passed by above us which was totally fun for the kids because it was SO loud!

In another picture you'll notice a couple loaves of bread that I made yesterday. I've mastered the technique of homemade rolls (courtesy of Nana Anne) but don't think I've ever made loaves of bread. I had the desire to do it yesterday and found a honey whole wheat recipe in one of my cookbooks that I tried out. It turned out delicious...I don't know how homemade bread can't be delicious actually? On our way home last night we drove past a house in our community with Alberta plates and realized it was probably the new Resident that just moved here from Calgary and happens to be in our Branch, so Sean packaged up my 2nd loaf of bread and brought it over to him :( I know it is supposed to feel good to serve but I'm missing my loaf of bread right now since the first one is almost gone! I guess I'll have to make some more today!

This afternoon I have to attend a wedding at the church and bring the kids since there is nowhere to send them. Sean is performing the wedding (his third so far) and he's taking a couple hours away from the hospital to do it since he's on call today. Should be interesting. I've already contemplated letting them bring their Nintendo's as long as they're turned down all the way...don't really think that's appropriate but I'm anticipating a gong show from them. Hopefully the ceremony is quick Sean!

I have some fabulous news about Brayden which will have to wait a few more days but stay tuned!

2 comments:

Jeni said...

i love how drewy will fall asleep anywhere at any time! you guys have really cool places to go therel. cant wait to come and see you agaiN! and bread? YUM! Mom has the best wheat bread recipe, it is sooo good!

Julie said...

oooooo, the suspense is killing me about the news about brayden! How dare you keep me hanging! Hahahahaa. Looks like you had a fun field trip. You look so fab for being due any minute. And I STILL need the Nana Bun recipe. I can't figure out for the life of me why I don't have it?!?!?!