Thursday, January 15, 2009

Total blackout

So Tuesday afternoon I was in the shower at about 3:30 and our power went out. It was stormy outside so I thought, no big deal, it'll come back on shortly. My house has a ton of windows so it's really no big deal during the day, in fact I hardly have lights on at all. Well...6 hours later!!! I've never been in a blackout for that long and with 3 starving little children at my feet too!

Once it started to get dark I went around the house trying to find all the candles that I could and lit them. It wasn't until the outside was completely dark that it felt really different. It was quiet in the house, it started to get a little bit chilly from no heat, and everywhere I went the 3 kids followed me like leaches! Kind of cute actually...They did not want to be alone at all! At around 7:30 I realized it was bed time but I hadn't fed them any dinner. When the electricity is out and you can't use a microwave or your stove you kind of abandon the kitchen! So I sat them down on their stools at the counter and fed them bagels w/cream cheese, cheese strings and cheesies! ha...nice dinner hey? Oh ya, they had yogurt too! Anyway, the house was SO quiet so I turned on i-tunes from my laptop (which only lasted about 5 min before the laptop died) and we had our own little dance party in the kitchen. Once I started to dance everybody got excited and got all their nerves out I think! The kids were SO dirty so I had to give them a bath. Upstairs we went for a candle lit bath with 3 kids! I know I keep emphasizing '3 kids' but seriously people...it's because it was hilarious! They actually loved the candle bath, I guess it was a little cooler to be not so bright. I started to tell them this is how people used to do things at night. When there was no electricity everything was by candle light and therefore they probably stayed in the most lit room of the house until bedtime. The boys were scared and so they slept in my bed. I had 4 candles that were battery operated (awesome by the way) so they each put one by their pillow as a nightlight.
I went downstairs and it was so quiet. I played a lot of Drew's Nintendo DS (which also doubles as an excellent flashlight) and sat by myself and pondered a lot! It's funny, when there are no distractions like tv, computer, phone, you are forced to be alone and think! It was kind of nice for a change, although I'm sure the blackout had to happen for me to be able to force myself not to turn any of my devices on! I'm sure life was a lot simpler back then!

As soon as the power turned on, about 50 lights in my house turned on because the kids had gone around (out of habit) and turned light switches on even when they wouldn't turn on. I of course immediately turned on the TV to make sure my shows were recording! I'm so pathetic! The rest of the night I watched TV and called a few people to tell them I was alright!

I learned a few things about that night though:

1. Always have working flashlights in your house with new batteries
2. Have a lot of candles on hand with matches
3. Make sure your cell phone is always charged
4. Start my food storage in case the next one takes longer than 6 hours!
5. Be prepared to spend every second with your children (the best part!)

Today I called the doctor to see if they had booked my ultrasound yet and they had! Cool don't tell me? It was for next week at the exact time my kids get on the bus, not really gonna work! Anyway, so I rebooked it for next Friday so hopefully that all works out! And this baby better have it's legs open!
On a side note isn't it amazing that:

1. I can spend so much time playing Super Mario Bros on Drew's DS?...and
2. He can sit beside me the ENTIRE time and watch me? I'm tellin ya, if it's not me playin? I'm outa there!

Here is Drew's birthday cookie that Nana and Grandad sent him...yum!


Oh the anticipation...


8 comments:

houseofhud said...

Okay, I'm totally out of the loop! I didn't even know that you were expecting. CONGRATS!!! Goes to show how often I check blogs these days!

Heather Palmer said...

Wow...now I kind of hope we have a blackout! :) The entire CUPBOARD full of SaltCity Candles I have would then come in handy. :) lol. That is cute about the bath and how they kept following you around. Darkness is scary as a kid! I loved that whole post. Thanks for sharing!

Heather said...

I would hate that whole blackout thing. You were very brave!!! I think the worst thing is you can't even leave if your car is stuck in the garage.

Happy Birthday to Drew!!! I can't believe they are 6 already! Hope his birthday is great.

Julie Jimmieson said...

OK that would scare me, I would be in the car and drive until I found electricty...oh wait how would I get out of the garage AHHHHH.
So I must not read your blog often enough...I always check the pics but I missed that you were pregnant. I am thrilled for you Libby, you are a wonderful Mom and any child would be blessed to have you as their "Proud Mama". Congrats! How far along?

Jeni said...

HOLY CRAP I would have followed you around too. i hate the dark! They are cute though that they did that. That would suck to have the power out for so long, especially in the cold!! brrrrrrrrrr
I cant believe it is almost drewy's brithday!

saltysista said...

I know how you felt. Our power went out a few weeks ago and I thought it would come back on quickly but it didn't until 5a.m. Then we found out the whole island's power went out. Crazy. It is cool but not so cool when you have kids! I can't wait to find out what you are having. :)

Julie said...

What an adventure! Trust me, I would immediately make sure my shows were recording too once the power came back on. Nice to have some time with no distractions though!

Alysha Sladek said...

good thing you had candles around! i'd be hooped! i wouldn't have minded the candle lit bath though. hopefully this baby cooperates for you to find out what it is. so exciting!