Sunday, June 29, 2008

Ignorance x 10!!!

So I have to blog this story before I forget the details of it!

Jeni had an airline story a week ago and now I have one to top it!

So in short to start...we started our trip to Utah on Friday by driving to Scranton, PA,
finding a place comparable to Cafe Rio and having a good swim with the kids and staying the night there. Here is a pic of B "still wearing my seat belt" as he would say...hmm...somehow I don't think that's very effective!!! Sean just finished his General Surgery rotation in which he did many proctology exams. However, nothing compares to the training they must get in the town mentioned in the sign above!!

This is just a picture somewhere in Jersey to show that it's very thick with trees, kind of reminded me of driving in North Carolina...very pretty. The next day we drove to Newark, NJ and while Sean tried to follow our GPS to the airport he mistakenly led us into the ghetto of New Jersey and both of us felt VERY white for awhile until we found our way back...once we did we flew to SLC. So here is where my story begins! Here are the kids on the Sky Park van leaving the parking lot...doesn't Tay look so grown up? She loved sitting in her own seat.

We fly Delta and we got there super early as to make sure we got tickets and possibly a good seat. When we got on the plane we found that we had the bulk head which is GREAT for kids since they aren't kicking anybodies seat or bothering anybody...well apparently I was wrong! So as any woman knows who travels with children...they are the last little people on earth that can sit still for 5 hours on a plane, let alone anywhere else...and you would just assume that any woman with kids would understand that right? So to start things off Taylor was having a hard time sitting still and would scream every now and then until she would give up...there is absolutely nothing I can do about that girl screaming, that is just how she communicates ok? Anyway...I did what I could. Regardless, she fell asleep eventually and so I reclined my chair so she could sleep. The boys were reaching up at their lights to turn them on so they could do some of their work books and were probably up there for 30 seconds when the woman behind me asks if my kids can sit down because her teenage children couldn't see the screen...sure no problem! So they boys sit down. Later on (Taylor is still sleeping) they are standing in the aisle talking to Dad sitting in the other aisle beside me and Brayden is occasionally swinging his feet back and forth and touching the woman behind me (unbeknownst to us) so she says to Sean "Excuse me but can you tell your kids to stop kicking me?" Oh...didn't realize it...so sure we say and have the boys sit down again. Well we all know that when the plane is up high the seatbelt sign is usually always on even if it's not shaky right? So whatever...my kids have their seatbelts off and are playing on the ground in front of us since being at the bulk head give us some room right? Well I start to hear this woman whispering behind me things about how my kids haven't had their seatbelt on this whole time and the sign is lit up...not behaving right...blah blah blah! Well I'm just ignoring her of course...whatever I don't care what people think. Well she keeps going...talking behind me with her daughter who is sitting at the window. Since my seat is reclined there is a gap where I can see them and I turn around just to give a glare but the woman is right there STILL TALKING about it so I say
L: Do you have a problem?
Her: Yes actually I do...your kids are being really annoying
L: Annoying really? What are they doing to bother you?
Her: Well your boy was kicking me
L: And when you told me I asked him to stop...next?
Her: Your kids are all over the place when they should be in their seats, getting in my kids way, and your daughter keeps screaming (by the way at this point tay has been asleep for 2 hours)
L: Gee, I'm sorry ma'am...sometimes that's what you sign up for when you buy plane tickets.
Her: Actually that's not what I signed up for...you know my kids haven't said anything to bother anybody and clearly I know how to parent them
L: Wow...your kids are also 16...were they never children?
Her: Yes but even when they were young they didn't act like that
L: Well I'm glad you have perfect kids...how lucky for you!
At this point Sean is grabbing me telling me "Libby it's not worth it...it's ok...she just doesn't understand..." and all the sassy things Sean says to people.

Wow...can you believe that? What arrogance! Of course from then on I was livid that she was sitting behind me because of course the whispering didn't stop. So then a few minutes later she starts to knee the back of my chair and deliberately push and shove on it. I'm not saying anything but eventually Sean tries to tell her to stop, very kindly, and offered to switch seats with her, asked the man behind him to switch seats and promised that he wouldn't recline for her...basically killed and humiliated her with kindness until she finally got up and went to the back for awhile. I can't even tell you how many times I've been on a plane with a one year old child on my lap and the person in front of my reclines their chair and how hard I try not to kick them or move their chair out of courtesy, even though they are not being courteous to me.

Well, luckily I got through it with only shedding a few tears because of course after that you can't help but question how good your parenting skills are which I know are great and the best of my ability. AH...so frustrating.

To top it all off...Taylor had two poopy diapers and there were no changing table squares in either of the bathrooms on board! So I had to go overboard on wiping clean the toilet seat cover since that was the only place to lay her down!!! Poor thing had to lay with only her bum and part of her back able to lay on the cover and her head and neck and shoulders had to be held up on her own while she screamed! I felt like stamping her poopy bum on the wall to let them know how happy I was about no table!

This is what the boys did as soon as we got our rental car and headed up to Park City last night...exhausted...Tay wasn't far behind in her car seat:) Wow...long story I know...we are in Utah up in Park City, Taylor is literally "Dumb and Dumber most annoying sound in the whole world" screaming at me right now as she tries to fall asleep, the boys are talking in their hide-a-bed and Sean is out getting ice for me! I'm just happy to be on vacation and tonight we're planning our week so we get to see all that we want! Today we went to church with Rob and Rachel Pommerening, one of Sean's good missionary companions and then went to their house for the day for lunch and dinner. They have two boys the exact same age as ours and a 3 month cutie pie of a daughter.

I know I want more kids but sometimes it is overbearing...I've come to the realization that after 3 kids I don't think it will get any easier, but everybody being together is just a fun time and important to becoming closer to each other. If my little family ever reads this I just want them to know how much I love them even through all the tempers, attitudes, yelling, timeouts, screaming, timeouts, screaming (Taylor is still screaming at me:O) and attempts at being a good parent. I love you, I love you, I love you...just remember that my little ones! xoxo mum

6 comments:

Alysha Sladek said...

i don't get some people! i'm sorry that happened. i hope the rest of the trip goes smoothly and you guys have a ton of fun.

Christy said...

I know you probably have tons to do but if you happen to have a break and want a place to go we would love to see you guys. Here is my number 801-734-0582. No pressure though I know what its like to be on vacation.

Jeni said...

How rude, who has the right to say that? I thought you were nice. I would have blown up and made my kids worse the rest of hte flight.
And you are a great momma, dont let anyone else think otherwise. and yes Taylor has an AWESOME scream!

The RC Miller Clan said...

Oh my gosh I was laughing so much during that post! Ditto to what Jeni said. Retarded lady. I don't get why some people think it's their position to perfect other people and correct them and all the rest of it. I've had rude people push my chair on a plane too. I think that and honking drivers are so rude...don't get me going! aaaaaahhhhh!

saltysista said...

People amaze me. I can't believe the things that come out of their mouths. Sorry about that awful plane ride.

Heather Palmer said...

I always laugh when I read your blog. And I love that you post pictures of yourself! I need to be better about that...but I probably won't be. :) I got so excited when I saw that Scranton sign...I'm an office groupie. :)