Monday, June 22, 2009

I love you


Well I can't let a Father's Day pass without sending out some love for my amazing Dad! Ever since I can remember he has been a constant rock in my life always pushing me to higher places and showing me how to better myself. From the time I was little I remember him bringing me on Daddy/Daughter dates to the wavepool and out for ice cream, bike rides, trips to Bowness Park and of course playing basketball out on our cement pad! As much as he worked when I was little and as busy as he was, I never remember him NOT being there for me. Of course my fondest memories came when I was older and he coached my basketball teams. I had a little attitude, but despite that he never gave up on me and always taught me how to listen and take advice from people who knew better! He was my coach under the hoop teaching me how to box out, dribble, shoot foul shots, bend my legs and play defense...the list goes on! I always secretly felt so proud to have him there beside me on the side lines cheering me on! My biggest fan for sure! He even found the time when I was playing in the states to come and watch me play as much as he could. He taught me the importance of hard work and discipline, one trait I am so grateful for now that I have a family of my own. There was always something comforting about being in my dad's arms when I got hurt because I knew he loved me without a doubt. Even when I would come home at 400am in the morning, he still loved me after setting his clock back to midnight before I woke him up ;)


On a spiritual note my dad is a GIANT! His knowledge for the gospel and his faith in God continue to astound me and set an example for me to strive to study and learn more myself so that I too can have the kind of relationship with my Heavenly Father that he does. I often go to him for advice and he seems to be the first person I think of talking to when I have a hard decision to make even now in my life.


I think the best advice I ever got from my Dad was the morning I woke up to drive down to Utah for my third year of College, leaving my boyfriend (Sean) behind. Our cars were completely packed to leave and my Dad sat in the garage with me and talked to me for about an hour, explaining to me what exactly I was leaving behind in a man, and questioned me on what I was looking for by moving away? He helped me focus on the real reason I should stay and convinced me to call Sean that morning and have breakfast with him and talk about our relationship one last time before I left. I have to say that to this day, that was the best advice my Dad ever gave me because now I'm married to the most amazing Man and my best friend:)


Dad, I love you SO much and want to thank you for everything you have taught me so far in my life and the love I know you have for me! Sean and I both have extreme respect for you and want you to know that we value your advice above all. Thank you for being such a great example to Sean as he's made his way through this long medical career and recent callings. I love you Dad............Happy Father's Day!

3 comments:

Julie said...

That's a nice tribute to your daddy!

Wishing for the West Coast said...

Wow - that brought tears to my eyes. It also reminds me of how blessed I am to have such a wonderful brother :)

Jeni said...

Dad is the best. I second all you say, except I think he hated trying to teach a lost cause (me) at basketball.