On Friday night our primary had one of our quarterly activities and had a ward dance at the church. It was definitely a hit with the kids as they all LOVE to dance! Here is Taylor dancing with Madi who taught her to shake her hips and let me tell you...she still hasn't stopped!
Drew had some sweet moves...he does the cutest breakdancing moves ever! A little more into it than Brayden, Brayden just wanted to eat the chips and chocolate at the food table!Here is Taylor dancin the Macarena. Drew was funny because first the song "YMCA" came on and he wouldn't try making the letters with his arms until he could master it. So he stood back by the curtain and watched while everybody else did it. A minute later he came up to me and said "Look mom I can do it now"! Then for the macarena he did the same thing...stood back watching until he had it mastered before he attempted it in public. He is SUCH a PERFECTIONIST in everything he does. It causes him to beat himself up a lot because he's obviously not perfect at everything the first time he tries but he's learning to control it.
I started teaching him piano again since I've been such a slacker lately and we do it every Thursday when Taylor goes to sleep for her nap. When he comes home from school he has to do 10 min before he can do anything else. Well he really has talent but he has such a difficult time controlling his self mutilation. By that I mean that when he has a wrong note he hits himself on the forehead...smacks himself! So I'm constantly telling him to keep his hands on the piano and NOT hit himself. Then I try to have him pick up the song where he made the mistake and he insists on starting at the beginning every time because he wants it to be perfect the whole way through! It makes for a frustrating lesson that seems sometimes like we don't get much accomplished but he's improving. He's learning SLOWLY to work through this problem and give himself second chances without beating himself up about it. I keep telling him he's lucky to have me as a teacher and not someone else who will yell at him when he gets so frustrated. I love that kid! I see SO much of myself in him it's not even funny!
Here is Brayden vacuuming the church carpet after the dance.

2 comments:
That would have been fun to watch them dance! I guess it's a good thing Drew is a perfectionist on the piano, he'll be very good! My mom wishes I would have started again and corrected my mistakes, I always just liked to play over them! :)
Taylor looks like sucha big girl! I can't get over it. You will have to teach my kids the piano too! :)
Post a Comment