We headed out to Canadian Tire to get all 5 sets of skates sharpened (new ones for everybody but Sean) and while we waited we caught some Wendy's. I bought a little 'push chair' type of apparatus for the kids to hold on to on the ice but stupid me forgot to take it out of the box before we left the house and I soon realized that putting it together required a little more than snapping a few pieces together, so that stayed in the car.
We parked downtown and walked a block to the rink where we quickly found a spot on the bleachers to sit down and get started! What a production it is to just go skating with 3 kids! I've never heard so much whining in all my life!"My toes are cold"
"My forehead is freezing"
"I can't see fix my toque"
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHH" (Taylor of course)
Anyway you get the point! To top it all off the teenagers in front of us were smoking directly in our line of smell! Sean asked them to smoke to the side where there were no people and after giving ugly stares finally moved. Sick! I hate seeing teenagers smoke...the most unattractive thing ever!
So Sean took turns taking each boy out on the ice. I made the mistake of deciding I could handle Taylor on my own. I learned a few things:
1. I should remember how to skate before I try to teach my kid
2. If you have a weak lower back don't try to teach a kid
3. If you want to deal with a huge amount of shrieking because your daughter doesn't want to leave the ice, don't put her on in the first place, especially if you don't remember how to skate yourself!
4. 2 year olds like to walk on the ice, not glide...this makes things difficult!
5. Expect all of the above before you leave or you will be very put out by the time you're done.
6. It's amazing the things we do for our children!!
So all in all it was a fun time and a time that had to happen! The boys luckily want to go back, but with the push chair next time so they can be out at the same time with Dad. They got a little bored sitting and waiting for their turn, not to mention cold. I'm not complaining though, it's only -2 today so it was actually pleasant I thought. The weirdest thing happened over the weekend though. The other night it rained all night and the weather was about +10 so all of the snow is completely gone! I'm praying that it falls again before Christmas so we can go sledding when the family gets here and also just for effect...we'll see! I do prefer the warmer conditions to -20 or -30 though so I'm not complaining!
On another note...I can't believe my baby is going to be 2 in a week! Oh my what the? She is definitely ready to be 2...she is NOT my baby anymore and is quickly catching up with Brayden in every way possible! She is fun to go shopping with though. She came to the mall today with me while the boys were in gymnastics and we had a good time picking things out for our last minute presents.
PS...LOST starts on Jan 21!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6 comments:
funny funny! I remember those days only sitting on the bench down at Bowness park, everyone whinning, and being freezing myself. I like summer at Bowness park better.:)
Caty-lynne would never last up there. We went down to the river walk here yesterday and it was 50degrees and she complained about how cold she was the whole time and how she just wanted to go back to the car. She has been spoiled here with warm weather.
It is rather amazing the things we do to give our children different opportunities! Good times though!
Ha! That's so fun, but I totally get you saying you need to know how to skate first before you take your kids! That is why I haven't taken my kids yet, I am too chicken I will be on my butt the whole time!
Sounds like you had fun though!
Like your mom, I remember bowness park and how I was always cold and really just wanted a hot coco.
Better luck next time!!
Sounds so fun. I miss skating. Ever sinc leaving Utah for Arizona I've been wanting to go. Sounds like you had so much fun. Hope there were no serious injuries.
Post a Comment